A PHENOMENAL exercise to improve your core control is the Woodchop with a medicine ball or dumbbell.
To execute the exercise:
- Get into a ½ kneeling position (you can narrow your base for more of a challenge)
- Grab a medicine ball, start from a high diagonal position, and “chop” it down to the opposite side (next to your pocket) WITHOUT losing the tall proud chest!
How this works:
When you are in the chopping movement, the momentum of the medicine ball will try and pull you down with it! DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!
You will gain the following:
- ability to decelerate a resistance
- maintain a tall posture
- stability through the torso
- flexibility in your hip flexors
Give this one a try for an added kick!