You ALL know what’s coming! While some of can melt, we can be sure that more of the white stuff is on the way and with the snowfall comes shoveling and MORE shoveling. But shoveling doesn’t need to equate to low back pain. With proper technique and precautions, you can keep your back healthy so that you can enjoy the nice weather. So here are a few quick tips to save your back:
- Get out there and start shoveling when the snow is actually lighter which is to say BEFORE the snow piles up and (more importantly) FREEZES up. Also take small shovelfuls. No sense overworking yourself.
- Warm up before you head out. Shoveling IS a workout after all!
- Engage the core BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER each shovel of snow. The core should always be turned on to protect that back! Draw your belly button IN prior to lifting!
- Use your legs and PUSH the snow if you can! If you can’t push the snow away, then make sure you shovel in BOTH directions!
- Get yourself strong in your rotation and bending patterns through exercise! Snow shoveling can be either a 5 or a 45-minute ordeal! Get your back strong so you can be ready for the worst! We can ALWAYS help with that! Give us a call at 514 556-4994 to get your body in gear!
- “An ounce of prevention is worth a POUND of cure!”
Hope this helps! Happy Shoveling!